Xylitol: what it is and what its benefits are
Xylitol or xylitol is a sweetener used to make beverages, candies or chewing gum that does not contain sugar.
It is obtained from birch or a plant fiber called xylan and is a sugar substitute It contains 40% less calories than the latter and reduces the likelihood of caries from 30% to 85%.
Refined sugars contain unnecessary calories and substances that can end up damaging our body. However, there are other substitutes for these much healthier, among which are xylitol, agave syrup or panela sugar.
On this occasion, we proceed to analyze the beneficial health properties of xylitol:
1. Strengthens the immune system: Xylitol increases the activity of white blood cells. In this way, it strengthens our immune system and protects us from suffering bacterial diseases.
2. Increase bone density: Numerous recent studies state that this sweetener increases bone and mineral content, thus reducing the chances of osteoporosis.
3. Recommended for diabetics: Xylitol is fully recommended for people with diabetes. By not containing fructose, it does not influence blood glucose and insulin levels.
4. Prevents tooth decay and mouth infections: Caries is formed through bacteria in the mouth. They pierce the teeth and, if not treated in time, can cause them to fall.
Xylitol not only does not cause cavities, but prevents them. It collapses bacteria and prevents them from absorbing glucose. In this way, it prevents bacterial growth.
5. Delays skin aging: It is shown that xylitol increases the production of collagen. Collagen is a type of protein that we manufacture and that provides greater resistance, elasticity and tissue regeneration. Thus, it prevents the formation of wrinkles and allows us to show a much younger skin.
6. Prevents cases of otitis: We have already commented on the antibacterial properties of xylitol. Thus, it also helps protect us against ear infections.